Saturday 23 February 2013

FOR MUSELI LOVERS

OH MY! I have just experienced museli on a whole new level.


I think to really appreciate this you gotta like me, be able to appreciate a bowl of oats with milk as something yummy.  Admittedly when i go for plain museli it's the least healthy way I enjoy oats since I load them with sugar and plenty of milk but something about it I just love.  Not everyday of course but once in a while, it really hits the spot.  Anyway, now things just got better.

Nothing fancy, you just gotta toast the oats.  Don't go making granola and don't go turning them into porridge after.  None of that.  Just toast them, in a pan or the oven with a bitta mixed spice and ginger and let them cool.  In fact make a huge batch and store it in an airtight container because you'll certainly be wanting more of these.

I have http://joythebaker.com/ to thank for alerting me to this phenomenon, however, I used a slightly different method.

Oats
Mixed spice/ginger/cinammon

1. Spray a large frying pan with a very little amount of oil and add your oats and spices, making sure they are spread as flatly and evenly across the pan. 
2. Place pan on the stove and don't take your eyes of it!  Start on a high heat and adjust temperature as you start to smell the oats cooking.  Turn constantly with a spatula.
3. For one portion of oats it took about five minutes but I expect it will take longer when you're making a batch.

Too soak or not to soak?
I enjoy museli for the texture and the chewing, so generally when I'm going for a bowl of plain oats, sugar and milk, I throw it all together right before I wanna eat it.  However, the benefit of soaking these oats is that the milk absorbs some of the incredible nutty, depth the oats have gained in roasting them and as such I went half and half.
Soak some oats overnight in milk and top with fresh ones in the morning, so now you've got the flavours and the textures.

PLEASE TRY THIS

No comments:

Post a Comment